A receptacle is used for mounting to the rotating device. The accessories are required for wire connections, since the Mercotac units cannot be soldered to directly. Order Separately.
Model 205 Brushless Slip Ring
Conductors: Two Conductor
The Mercotac® model 205 brushless slip rings are ideal for thermocouples, strain gages, eddy current test devices, and wind turbine blade sensors due to their compact size, reliable quality signal connection, low torque and low cost. The model 205 replaced the model 590, which was the pioneering brushless slip ring designed specifically for the Leslie Organ Speaker.
- Durable, compact, and low cost
- Use for signal and/or power connections
- Easy to install and replace
- Lightweight with robust metal construction
- Long-lasting, energy efficient, and no maintenance
- Made in the USA
Model 205 Product Specifications
- Disconnects are not included.
- Available with stainless steel ball bearing (205-SS, 205-LS, and 205-HS) (recommended for wet or corrosive environments).
- "SS" designator indicates stainless steel ball bearing (recommended for wet of corrosive environments)
- "L" designator indicates low torque/low temp.
- "LS" designator indicates low temp. & stainless steel ball bearing
- "H" designator indicates high RPM
- "HS" designator indicates high RPM & stainless steel ball bearing
Connector options are noted below. They are not included with a 205 Mercotac purchase. Order the desired connector(s) separately.
Model 205 is typically mounted by either the black body or the contact. Body mount typically uses a set screw or split clamp. Contact mount is held in the installed receptacle by a spring fit. It is best to mount the Mercotac so the body of the connector rotates. When used horizontally, mount the Mercotac so the body of the connector rotates.
- The up arrow should not point below horizontal.
- Do not solder to or bend terminals.
- Avoid lateral forces and mechanical loads (overly stiff or tight wires).
- Do not rigid mount both ends of the Mercotac.
- Limit the mounting eccentricity (runout / wobble) to .005" (.13mm).
- Provide overload protection within the circuit.
- Avoid vibration and bumping motions.
Model 205 Standard Wire Connections
The plastic cap with solder lugs attach to stationary wires
The metal receptacle press fits into rotating member of machine.
Model 205 plugs into the receptacle after the receptacle is press fit into the rotating member of the machine.
The cap plugs onto the stationary end of the 205 for the attachment of stationary wires.
The Mercotac model 205 brushless slip rings meet the requirements of various applications such as thermocouples, strain gages, eddy current test devices, and wind turbine blade sensors. With their compact size, reliable signal connection, low torque, and affordable cost, they are an excellent choice for these applications. It offers enhanced performance and functionality. Notably, the model 205 improves upon its predecessor, the model 590, originally designed for the Leslie Organ Speaker to make the connection between the electric organ and the rotating speaker. After a multitude of attempts it was the only slip ring able to make this high-fidelity connection.
In the sewer inspection application, as shown in the picture to the left, the Model 205 can be used on the cable reel to power the lights or to transfer the video signals to the cable as it is unrolled from the reel. As well as other video inspection applications, they are also used for tea bag machines and non-destructive eddy current crack detection of aircraft fuselage.
These slip rings also find relevance in instrumentation, test and measurement equipment, and robotics. They provide stable signal transmission in instrumentation systems, ensure accurate signal transmission in test and measurement equipment, and enable smooth robotic movements. The Mercotac model 205 brushless slip rings are a reliable and cost-effective solution for a range of applications, maintaining efficient and reliable electrical connections in diverse industries.
Check out our Applications page for more examples of how Mercotac products are utilized.
Guidance for using Mercotac® Brushless Slip Rings in engineering designs.
Learn about our Mercotac® Construction & Materials: Body
Materials, Bearing Types, Conductors/Terminals, Thread Sizes, Mounting Options.
Learn about Mercotac® Electrical Characteristics: Voltage
Rating, Current Rating, Contact Resistance, Circuit Separation, Operating Temperature, Frequency.
Learn about Mercotac® Rotational Characteristics: Rotational
Speed, Rotational Torque.